|Here is some information about girls with attention deficit disorders.
Girls with this disorder are often overlooked and are underdiagnosed or misdiagnosed for years. They often lack the hyperactive symptoms that are seen in boys with this disorder.
Due to the fact that many girls have the inattentive symptoms, they are often labeled "air heads" or "space cadets" because they daydream so much. It is sad for a woman to realize in my office that she has had ADHD all of her life. That patient often grieves for all the things she could have done differently if her condition had been diagnosed earlier.
This information is from a book called the ADHD BOOK OF LISTS ( page, 42) by Sandra Rief.
These are typical characteristics of girls with ADHD
1. Girls tend to be compliant in school and do not exhibit many of the disruptive behaviors more common in boys.
2. Girls are often very good at trying to make themselves invisible to cover up their difficulties.
3. ADHD symptoms tend to increase rather than decrease at puberty.
4. Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) presents additional problems, worsening ADHD symptoms by adding to disorganization and emotionality.
The following are characteristics displayed by girls who have ADHD:
- Hypersocial behavior
- Hyperverbal behavior ( cannot stop talking, chatting and commenting on everything)
- Much giggling and "silly" behavior
- Mood swings
- Temper tantrums
- Hair-twirling, nail-biting, picking at cuticles
If you are interested in learning more about girls and ADHD you can read any of the books by Kathleen Nadeau.